I am home this week, and things are going a bit better. My Papa is out of the hospital and healing up from surgery before they jump into Chemotherapy and Radiation. I did succeed in cutting those pesky 380 words from my manuscript…twice. I cut them once and then had to make some story changes and ended up right back where I started. So then I cut them again and have managed to get my word count down to 89,890 or so. I am at chapter ten in my cutting revision and I think that cutting 700 words out of the first 10 chapters is a great accomplishment. I am going to proceed with my cutting revision throughout the rest of the manuscript because it is making my story better and word count for contemporary YA is actually supposed to be between 60,000 and 80,000 words. The closer I can get to 80,000 the better my chances, even though I feel pretty good getting it below that dreaded 90,000 word mark.
I promise you a crazed animal, a concussion, and a kiss in every single book...you're welcome!